Friday, November 7, 2014

Steady Tide

© 2014 Hannah Phelps

I painted at the coast A LOT in August, September and October - driving all the way over there at least twice a week.

July was so cold and rainy that I wondered if the whole season was over early. Even a snow lover like me wants a tiny bit of  summer.

In August, the sun and warmth returned, and I jumped on it. Nothing like weeks of icky weather to motivate a painter to drop everything else and seize the day when the skies finally clear. Plus, I had a buddy to meet up with almost every time.

Most of the work from those weeks is sketchy. It was great exercise and the results will lead to some exciting prints, but not much of it can be called "great painting."

This one is different - just that much above its compatriots in quality and “doneness”. I haven’t touched is since it left the rocks and it is still standing up as a nice painting.

While I was painting this piece, my friend and I remarked that the tide seemed to pause at high for a while. We didn’t talk about it long - we still worked furiously to take advantage of the phenomenon

It might be the only evidence you will see on the blog that I was painting as much as I claim....

But if you come by for the open studio this weekend...


November 8 & 9
Saturday 9 am - 5 pm
Sunday 10 am - 5 pm 

325 Twin Bridge Road
New Boston, NH 03070

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...