Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Remembered Beach

 © 2015 Hannah Phelps

Over the years a collection of about ten billion beach photos has grown in my studio. Some of them served as references for this painting. I simplified things - there are really some houses amongst the trees.

The real reason for a beach painting verses trees, snow, or waves is getting a color study done for a possible companion jigsaw reduction woodblock print for Sand Pools. This painting shows a semi-imagined view looking to the right of Sand Pools. It would be cool to add one to the left as well.

I could plan a print directly from photos, I suppose, but working from a painting is sort of my modus operandi. Painting a scene first helps me simplify and solidify my ideas and it is fun to translate brushstrokes into carved shapes.

There are still more painting to do before any printmaking starts, but it feels good to plan for it now.


Note: This is all part of Leslie Saeta’s 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge. I’ll remind you every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...