Monday, September 28, 2015

Rocks in a Hurry

© 2015 Hannah Phelps
 
The afternoon light is dramatic in the early autumn. We experience most of the drama visually - brilliant golds, pinks and purples, bright jewels suddenly highlighted in the water, glowing green in the grass and trees.

When we try to paint these tempting morsels, we find even more excitement than we expected. All these colors last for about 10 minutes, to start. And during that 10 minutes, they dance around, shifting value and hue as much as any wave. Then, all at once, the sun drops behind the trees or rocks and we stand in darkness, ankle deep in seaweed, surrounded by tidepools and we still have to find and pack up the gear we have carelessly strewn about ourselves.

Sometimes, we may have gotten a solid start with the rocks and missed out on the water. And we think, "I am going to post this anyway and keep it because maybe next time I can work on it a little."

Just a short fable for you. I doubt this ever really happens.


Note: This is all part of Leslie Saeta’s 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge. I’ll remind you every day.

2 comments:

  1. I think the painting and the fable are great! I know you feel the painting is unifinished, but I like seeing it in this stage--I think it has a nice degree of sparkle, and I like seeing the artist's hand in the work. Congratulations on completing this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for your kind words, Meredith! The challenge was very good for me - did you do it too?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...