Thursday, October 22, 2015

Sydney Opera House - AKA January 2016

© 2009 Hannah Phelps

Over 6 years ago, I painted this little piece from a photograph I took on a trip to Sydney. Below, you can see the text from the original post.

Now this image is January 2016 in the Landscape Calendar so that you guys can have a little extra summer.

"Like many artists, I enjoy challenging myself. Now that this painting is complete, I can admit that I wonder what made me attempt a painting of one of the most famous architectural silhouettes in the world.

Along with taking a closer look at the Sydney Opera House, we also visited the Art Gallery of New South Wales. Not much work by Australian artists has made it to the US, and I fully enjoyed viewing the collection. I remember especially the paintings of Margaret Preston, Arthur Streeton and Charles Conder. The Gallery also had a large collection of contemporary Aboriginal art and the patterns and textures of those paintings really fascinated me.
 
Next stop-Melbourne!"
 
The Melbourne painting was the reference for February 2016 - you just saw it last month!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...