Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Where White-lines Come From


Measure, Coast, my Strada easel and a plein air painting

Autumn is my favorite time to paint outdoors. On nice days, it is so hard to stay inside at a press or a worktable. Especially when the dogs can get some exercise too.

So I haven't been printing that much lately - I've been heading out to paint the ocean during my favorite month. But these paintings are the inspiration for new prints when winter swoops in and locks us all inside.

For example, this little painting:

Monhegan Wave Study, oil on canvas

Became this larger white-line woodcut print a few months later:


Most of the prints you've seen here originated from plein air paintings. As a matter of fact, last year's October paintings are fulfilling that purpose right now. If you want to watch the new jigsaw print come together, you can see videos and pictures on my instagram page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...